Specifying particleboard or MDF core used to be almost an afterthought. Today, green building requirements, Forest Stewardship Council® certification (Forest Stewardship Council® C013110), sustainability, machinability, low emissions and cost are just some of the many criteria that make panel core material more important than ever. That’s why Aetna carries only the best brands, offering the widest range of performance options.
ARAUCO manufactures the industry’s most comprehensive selection of sustainable forest product solutions. FSC® certified (FSC® C013110) material is available for all Arauco products. The company operates four Regional Support Centers and ten manufacturing plants across North America. The newest plant in Grayling, Michigan is the most modern particleboard plant in North America and the largest of its kind globally. The plant features North America’s largest single continuous particleboard press (170 ft.) and is one of the most productive in the world. The plant’s main structure measures 820,000 ft² with an annual capacity of 452 million ft² (800,000 m3). ARAUCO is well-positioned to deliver a superior level of service and to build mutually beneficial, lasting relationships with its customers.
The company’s particleboard selection is extensive, and includes:
- Duraflake: Manufactured in Albany, OR predominantly with Douglas fir, a material that is known for strength and stability, the Duraflake particleboard brand is renowned for its specialty grade offerings, including standard, plus, door core, fire-rated, moisture-resistant and ultra low emitting formaldehyde (ULEF) resin system. Duraflake is engineered to perform in a host of applications such as, cabinets, countertops, shelving, store fixtures, office furniture and door components.
- DuraflakePlus: Offers board construction that is perfectly designed for use in more demanding industrial applications such as the office furniture industry. This product delivers a unique strength-to-weight ratio creating exceptional machining and workability for the most critical projects.
- Duraflake Standard: Ideal for industrial end uses including cabinets, fixtures and furniture components. Our construction process produces exceptionally smooth faces for a wide range of finishes.
- Duraflake Fire-Rated: Underwriters Laboratories (UL) approved Class A/Class 1 fire-rated particleboard panel. This product is ideal for use in safety code and architectural specified projects such as schools, hospitals, malls, airports, offices and public buildings.
This nationally recognized fire-rated panel is classified by Underwriters Laboratories for surface burning characteristics using the UL 723 Test Method. Panels are retardant throughout, stay classified after cutting and have a wide range of sizes available.
- Duraflake VESTA ULEF Moisture Resistant: Duraflake offers a moisture resistant particleboard panel that is manufactured using ARAUCO’s VESTA ULEF (ultra low emitting formaldehyde) resin systems. This panel is the ideal solution to address high humidity environment needs such as kitchens, baths and labs.
- Ultra: Ultra particleboard, produced at Carolina Particleboard in Bennettsville, SC, is prized for superior face and machinability characteristics that are critical for surface applications. Ultra is manufactured predominantly with softwood producing a high performance panel with exceptional smoothness.
- Features: ·Flexible panel sizing to reduce waste and shipping costs
·Smooth surfaces for easy laminating and finishing
·Strength and dimensional stability at lower density
- Features: ·Flexible panel sizing to reduce waste and shipping costs
- Ultra Plus: particleboard offers premium mechanical properties and is engineered specifically for demanding applications. Panel thicknesses range from 3/8” to 1 1/2”. Products are available raw or TFL finished with your choice of design from the PRISM collection.
- Ultra Custom: particleboard is a value engineered particleboard product suitable for a variety of applications including cabinets, furniture, fixtures and general industrial applications. Panel thicknesses range from 3/8” to 1 1/2”.
- VESTA: A specialty brand for panels manufactured using an ultra low emitting formaldehyde (ULEF) resin system. This makes it the optimal choice for additional LEED points and other ULEF specified projects.
Along with our other panel products, VESTA is made with 100% recycled and/or recovered wood fiber and is an ECC™ (Eco-Certified Composite) sustainability product.
VESTA is available in a wide range of thicknesses and dimensions and can be raw or TFL finished with your choice of design from the PRISM collection.
For more information on all ARAUCO particleboard, visit:
Roseburg: Roseburg is the largest producer of particleboard panels in North America with a capacity exceeding one billion feet per year. They produce a broad selection of panels, such as:
- UltraBend: A premium-quality, mat-formed, multilayer wood particle board. These panels are made predominantly of precision-refined wood particles that are bonded with thermosetting resins.UltraBlend features a highly refined smooth surface and tight uniform core with machinable edges and excellent dimensional stability.
- SkyBlend: is Roseburg’s renowned 100% recycled or recovered wood fiber particleboard engineered to meet today’s green building requirements.It is produced with an ultra low emitting formaldehyde (ULEF) resin system.SkyBlend is available with FSC® certification (FSC® C013110) and can contribute to achieving LEED® 2009 and LEED v4 credits. SkyBlend is listed in the USDA’s BioPreferred catalog and has Federal Procurement Preference status.
For more information on Roseburg particleboard, visit:
Plummer Forest Products: Plummer’s EnStron Industrial Particleboard is produced from Northwest Inland softwoods and features a light color ideal for lamination. Excellent machinability combined with moisture resistant characteristics, it is the ideal choice for use in kitchen and bathroom cabinets. EnStron is made with a no added formaldehyde (NAF) process using recycled quality pine and northwest white wood fibers.
For more information on Plummer EnStron, visit:
Boise Cascade: Boise Cascade Company has been manufacturing a high quality particleboard at our facility in LaGrande, Oregon since 1966. The predominant species is ponderosa pine, which provides a highly machinable substrate, light in color, and a variety of desirable features, including:
- Can be sawed, dadoed, shaped, and routed, without chipping or flaking.
- Versatile laminating substrate with excellent machining characteristics.
- Two super-fine faces take even paper-thin laminates without telegraphing.
- High internal bond, smooth surfaces, uniform density and strength.
- Highly refined particle geometry forms two identical precision sanded faces and a consolidated core.
- Exceptional panel construction dramatically improves tool life and productivity.
For more information on Boise Cascade Particleboard, visit:
MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard)
ARAUCO: Arauco Trupan is the MDF specialist in North America offering over 35 products; from their locally produced high density panels to Radiata Pine Ultralight MDF, there is sure to be a panel to fit the needs of any project. Trupan MDF is also available in a variety of specialty grades, including:
- Trupan Standard MDF: A versatile product that will fit most general industrial uses including cabinets, fixtures and furniture components. An advanced refining process ensures a homogenous panel that is ideal for deep detailed profiling and finishing with exceptional performance results. Products are available raw or TFL finished with your choice of design from the PRISM collection.
- Trupan Ultralight MDF: Provides a smooth, flawless surface and a consistent density profile. It is an ideal choice for millwork and lamination applications where finished product weight is a concern. Trupan Ultralight is manufactured using 100% fresh pine fiber, forming a lightweight, workable panel with a light, uniform color. Trupan Ultralight panels are both light color and weight, the average density is 32 lb/ft3, and its smooth surface is achieved with 220-grit sanding.
- Trupan Fire-Rated MDF: Manufactured on the Trupan Plus platform using a chemical system to achieve a fire-rated Class A/Class 1 panel that is classified by Underwriter Laboratories for surface burning characteristics. Trupan FR MDF is ideal for commercial and institutional projects when required by fire safety codes and specifications.Products are available raw or TFL finished with your choice of design from the PRISM collection.
- Trupan Moisture Resistant: An interior, moisture resistant MDF panel that is ideally suited for kitchen, bath and laboratory cabinets, and applications with high humidity and incidental moisture contact. This panel meets or exceeds the requirements for ANSI MR10.
Products are available raw or TFL finished with your choice of design from the PRISM collection.
- Trupan VESTA ULEF: VESTA composite panels are produced using a low emitting technology, making VESTA the optimal choice for additional LEED points and CARB exempt projects. Along with our other panel products, VESTA is made with 100% recycled and/or recovered wood fiber, and is an ECC™ (Eco-Certified Composite) sustainably certified product.
VESTA panels are available in a wide range of thicknesses and dimensions, and can be raw or TFL finished with your choice of design from the PRISM collection.
- VESTA MR50 NAF: Our highest grade of moisture resistance is available. These panels meet or exceed the requirements for ANSI MR50, making them ideal products for high moisture areas.
For more information on ARAUCO Trupan MDF, visit:
Weyerhaeuser: Weyerhaeuser Super-Refined MDF2® is an engineered wood panel prized by woodworkers for its exceptional qualities, including a smooth, unblemished surface and homogeneous core. Weyerhaeuser MDF2 products are made from high-quality inland species of western softwoods known for their low abrasive content and light color, providing for unsurpassed ease of routing and finishing.
For more information on Weyerhaeuser MDF, visit: